I don’t know about you but this whole quarantine thing has me ridiculously excited about breakfast every morning. I treat it as a little adventure where every day I have to peek into my fridge or pantry and find something new and exciting to make. I mean, who doesn’t love mixing it up?! I never knew adding carrots to pancakes could taste so damn good. Trust me, i am a HUGE pancake lover and i am very particular about my pancakes. These pancakes were a result of me trying to add carrots to something sweet and healthy. The result was these delicious and super healthy Carrot Cake Pancakes!
I am a genius!
- 1.5 scoops myprotein Banana impact whey: for the boost of protein. You can use even vanilla flavour.
- 1 mashed banana: keeps these pancakes super moist and flavorful, and adds a touch of natural sweetness from fruit.
- 30g whole wheat flour: whole wheat flour makes the pancakes nice and hearty! Feel free to use oat flour instead.
- 1 whole egg: this will help your carrot cake pancakes stay together nicely. You can substitute it with a flax egg to make it vegan.
- 1 egg white: substitute with 2 tbsp almond milk to make it vegan.
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots: for that amazing carrot cake flavor plus a sneaky boost of veggies! Squeeze the carrots to remove moisture.
- 20g raisins: love a good carrot cake with raisins. They make these pancakes extra delicious! Soak the raisins in warm water for 10 mins to plump them up.
- 1 tsp baking powder: to make the pancakes super fluffy.
- Spices: I used 1/2 tsp cinnamon & nutmeg in this recipe for a cozy carrot cake flavor.
- Salt: just a pinch to bring the flavors together.
How to make carrot cake pancakes
- Place all of your ingredients besides carrots and raisins into a blender and blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Then, stir in your shredded carrots and raisins.
- Add coconut oil to a pan (optional if nonstick pan) and place over medium heat. Add carrot cake pancake batter 1/4 cup at a time and use a spoon to spread it out a bit into circles. Cook for about 1 minute or until golden brown and tiny bubbles appear around the edges.
- Flip pancakes and cook until golden brown on underside. If you find that pancakes are browning too quickly, then you need to lower the heat. I normally start on medium heat, then reduce to medium low later so that my pancakes don’t burn. If at any point your griddle starts smoking, it means your pan is too hot.
- Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve pancakes with almond butter, cream cheese or yogurt and a drizzle of maple syrup or honey. Makes 6 medium pancakes.
I topped these pancakes with jus’amazin almond butter and homemade double chocolate granola. You can also top them with yogurt or drizzle with pure maple syrup or honey. Yum!
For the whole stack minus the toppings:
If you try this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on instagram @hookedonpeanutbutter .